Editing, Proofreading and Advice Service: Terms and Conditions
The following clauses are set terms and conditions for Esther Chilton’s Editing, Proofreading and Advice Service. By reading them, the client automatically agrees to the policies laid out therein. If the client does not agree with these policies, they should not use the services offered. Please note these terms may be updated at any time.
Please contact me if you have any questions or need any clarification regarding any of the clauses and requirements.
- The instructions I provide when correcting errors or making improvements are clear, but it’s the client’s responsibility whether these changes are accepted and implemented.
- I will edit and proofread using either UK or US English, depending on the preference specified by the client.
- I endeavour to provide an accurate service for each project submitted to me; however, I cannot guarantee a 100% error-free document. It’s the client’s responsibility to review the completed work.
- If the client makes further alterations or additions to the proofread/edited text which results in further errors or discrepancies, it’s the client’s responsibility. If the client wishes me to carry out a second read through of the manuscript after they have actioned the edits, there will be an additional fee for this service.
- Should there be a change to the original agreement, and the client sends me a rewritten manuscript/revised sections to edit or proofread, I reserve the right to charge an additional fee or cancel my services. This applies whether I have started work on the project or not.
- I reserve the right to decline a request for services or work that is sent to me. I do not have to give a reason.
- I reserve the right to decline work which contains plagiarised content. The same applies if it is deemed obscene, offensive, inflammatory or illegal.
- Should I have been sent work that I do not take on, it will be deleted.
- I accept no liability for any legal action which arises from factual inaccuracy or defamatory information in any project I work on. I am not liable for any losses resulting from advice provided or any missed errors.
- The client is ultimately responsible for his or her own work and making sure their writing is appropriate for publication.
- I am not responsible for any changes made to the client’s work once I return the edited/proofread manuscript. I give no guarantee it will be accepted for publication.
- Should the client send me their work later than originally agreed, I reserve the right to change the date I will return the work or decline the project altogether.
- If the complete manuscript has been received and is of a much poorer standard than the sample provided for the purposes of the quote, I have the right to adjust the quote accordingly or to decline the work.
Payments can be made by:
- Bank transfer.
- PayPal account.
- For payments by cheque, please contact me.
- All payments must be in UK sterling.
- 25% of the full payment is required at the same time as the full manuscript is sent. The remaining 75% is due within seven days of the client receiving the work back. An invoice will be sent for the final payment at the same time as the completed work is returned. Exceptions to this are short stories, articles and blurbs. Full payment is required up front for these projects.
- Instalment options are available. Contact me to discuss.
- Once the cost has been agreed, in writing, between myself and the client, it will be non-negotiable, unless additional services are requested. In that event, a revised quote will be provided, and a new deadline arranged.
- If the client has an unexpected difficulty or unforeseen circumstances that results in the delay of their manuscript and/or payment being sent, please contact me as soon as possible.
- If I experience an unexpected difficulty or unforeseen circumstances that results in the delay in the commencement of the client’s work, I will contact the client as soon as possible to discuss a different time frame or to offer an alternative.
- If the client gives notice to cancel within 30 days of the agreed commencement date, I reserve the right to invoice the client for up to 100% of the costs.
- If the client gives notice to cancel with more than 30 days’ notice, there will be no further charges.
- If the client changes their mind and no longer requires the service once work has commenced, I reserve the right to charge up to 100% of the costs outstanding.
- There is a minimum charge of £30.
- If the client needs a shorter turnaround time than usually provided, they will be charged at a higher rate. This will be advised on an individual basis.
- I am not VAT registered so VAT isn’t added for my editorial services.
- The content of the manuscript provided by the client will not be shared or discussed with anyone other than the client, unless permission to do so is given by the client, in writing.
- As per the conditions of the Data Protection Act 1998, both myself and the client can keep personal records of each other (e.g. contact information, etc.). We may view the records the other holds to ensure they are up to date.
- The content of the manuscript provided by the client will remain the property of the client.
- Any content created by me during the editing/proofreading process will become the copyright property of the client once payment of the final invoice has been settled.